Bonnie Mercer is a Melbourne based musician whose distinctive guitar playing has made her one of this city’s most well respected and sought after musicians. Her sound is instantly recognisable – warm, loud and earth shattering; simultaneously subtle and compelling, beautiful and powerful, her command of the instrument is enthralling to see and hear.
Bonnie has played in a long list of both Australian and international bands, and has toured and collaborated with many more across a long and successful career spanning more than two decades. Her music is compelling, purposeful and engaging.
Selected collaborations / performances:
- Solo performance opening for Grouper (USA), Melbourne Recital Centre, Melbourne, 2019.
- Commissioned by ‘Cross Yarra Partnership’ to produce an artistic response to the Metro Tunnel construction taking place across Melbourne. Included collaborative compositions with Time for Dreams (AUS), sound artist Lisa Bartolomei (AUS), and motion graphics artist, Sar Ruddenklau (AUS). Delivered as interactive audio/visual performance at ACMI, Melbourne Music Week, 2018.
– Section leader for Rhys Chatham’s 100 guitar performance of ‘A Crimson Grail’ – Sydney Festival, 2018.
– Guest guitarist with Taipan Tiger Girls – Melbourne Music Week, Melbourne Town Hall, 2017 & ‘Nocturnal’ at the Melbourne Museum, 2018.
– Solo performance, two shows opening for Grouper (USA) at Paddington Uniting Church, Sydney, 2017.
– Solo performance opening for Norman Westberg of Swans (USA), Monash University Museum of Art, 2016.
– Invited by Shellac (USA) to open two shows, Corner Hotel, Melbourne, 2015.
– Showcasing artist at South by Southwest (SXSW), Austin, Texas, 2015.
- Solo performance opening for Sleep (USA), Corner Hotel, Melbourne, 2014
- Touring guitarist for Dumb Numbers (USA) – five shows opening for My Bloody Valentine on the east coast of North America, 2013 & five shows opening for Lemonheads on the west coast, USA, 2015.
- Invited by Dylan Carlson to open for Earth (USA) on the east coast dates of their Australian tour, 2012, & again in Melbourne, 2014.
- Recipient of Australia Council’s ‘International Pathways’ grant for USA tour with band Dead River, 2013.
- Solo performance opening for Boris (JPN), Northcote Social Club, Melbourne, 2012.
- Guest guitarist with legendary Sydney band Scattered Order, 2012.
- Participated in Melbourne Fringe Festival’s ‘Guitarelay’ (an improvisational performance consisting of 30 guitarists), 2009 & 2015.
- Breathing Shrine performance in the What is Music? Festival ‘50/50 – Fifty artists in fifty minutes’ concert, 2009.
- Guitarist in live improvised performance with ex-Can vocalist Damo Suzuki (JPN/DEU), Oakland, California, 2007.
- Grey Daturas & Yellow Swans collaboration ‘Copper/Silver’ listed as one of the best albums of the year by ‘Wire’ magazine (UK), 2005.
- Grey Daturas undertook multiple tours of Australia, USA, Europe, New Zealand and Japan, 2001 – 2010.